Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Elder Madsen's First Week in Fresno

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen

My P-day is Monday, but we couldn't email because the library was closed (for Memorial Day). To start off, first day we get off the plane and we are bombarded with missionaries. They all gave us hugs and gave a spiritual thought. They were all the missionaries going home right after we got here.

Then we went out back to go to the cars and saw President Gelwix. He is awesome. Then we went to the mission office and got started with some paper work and stuff. Then we went out and started tracting (walking through neighborhoods, knocking on doors, and talking to people). Pretty scary stuff, but it's easier now. Then we spent the night with the Assistants to the President.

The next morning we got our companions. I lucked out. My companions are the zone leaders over the zone we are in. Our area is pretty big because we are over the YSA (Young Single Adult) Ward. So all of our lessons are to YSAs. It's so much fun.

My companions are Elder Larson from Arizona, and Elder Elkington from NEW ZEALAND! He is so funny. I love them both. They are amazing missionaries and it's just a ton of fun.

So my first day with my kammerats (Danish for companions) we went to teach Conrad (name changed for privacy). Now Conrad is a recovering anything you can think of that involves the Word of Wisdom, so his brain is fried. But he is gaining back his memory and his ability to learn everyday. He has been clean for five weeks. His baptism date is August 3. We are trying to tell him that he is ready sooner, but it's between him the Lord. I have taught over six lessons to investigators. I was prompted to invite Olivia and Monica to be baptized, so I manned up and did it. Their baptism date is tentatively scheduled for June 22.

The work is pressing hard here and the people are ready. It's amazing! I learn so much. Both my companions played football or rugby in high school. Elder Elkington actually has a scholarship to BYU next season to play rugby for them. Crazy stuff. He leaves after this transfer.

All is well. I have learned a ton and have the opportunity to teach investigators daily. I love it. All of what I thought it would be (on the mission) is not true. It's so much fun. I love teaching. Because my trainers are zone leaders and over the YSA Ward, we drive a car everywhere, which is very nice because I kinda, well, tweeked my knee again. I am giving up on all sports for a little while. But don't worry. I am good. I can still run. I will just watch others have fun on preparation day.

We are also teaching two girls right now. They are both 19 years old and very outgoing girls. They both just wait at the door to see us, and can't wait to learn about the Gospel. It's amazing how prepared the people are here in Fresno. We have three lessons planned today, along with some finding to do. I can't wait. I am super excited to just teach more and more.

I am sorry to say, but the hand written letters are going to slow down. It takes three days for mail to get there, and three days back. But I will still write, so you can go ahead and put my email on Facebook. Luckily, here we get 1 hour and 30 minutes to email. We just have to write to the Mission President first, then family, then friends.

It's weird...I thought that because I would not be speaking Danish all the time that I would start to loose it, but I feel like I am still learning. The Lord is blessing me so much. I love it. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be out here. To serve the YSA Ward is so much fun. I get to talk to, teach, and learn from people in college that are around my age. It's a blast because preparation day is on Monday. When everyone else goes out to start proselyting at 6:00 p.m., we have FHE (Family Home Evening). So we get to bring investigators to FHE where they can learn in a better and more applicable environment. It's so much fun.

Well, I love you. I have a letter coming to you soon. I have much to do, people to serve, and this is the Lord's time, so I will talk and write next week.

P. S. Yes, that address is for mail and packages.

Elder Madsen's Second Week in Fresno

Elder Madsen Leaves for Denmark!


Elder Elkington, Elder Larsen, Elder Madsen


Our apartment in Fresno

Our kitchen in the closet of our apartment

Elder Madsen's desk in the apartment in Fresno

Since a wheelchair was available, we had to attempt some wheelies!

Success!