Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Elder Madsen is Re-assigned to California

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen

So this week we got reassigned. I am not going to lie, it has been hard to know that we will not be going to Denmark right now. But this has only made me realize, more and more, that we are called to serve a mission for the Lord, on his time and where He will need us. I don’t know why he needs us in California and Oregon, and Denver, Colorado and Missouri, but there are reasons. Maybe I will find out in the near future, but I know that there is a reason.

Today we woke up at 3:35 a.m. to drop off our Sisters at the curb so they could go to Missouri. Then we went back to bed. I woke back up at 5 a.m. to drop off my companion, who will be serving in Carlsbad, California, for a bit. Then I got up at 6:30 a.m. (normal time), got breakfast, and at 7:45 a.m., we dropped off the remaining two Sisters left from both districts. They will be serving in the Salt Lake City West Mission. So today has been full of, “I'll see you in Denmark.” Tomorrow I will be waking up at 4 a.m. to send off three Elders to Oregon, and I will be going to Fresno, California, leaving the MTC at 7 a.m.

Last night, as I thought about what my first day in the mission field was going to be like, I started to go through some contacting scenarios. Half way through, I realized I was speaking Danish. This is going to be weird because we have drilled and drilled contacting in Danish, and now I don’t even think I can do it in English. My biggest fear throughout this whole thing (being re-assigned) is forgetting Danish. But every time I start to have doubts about what is going to happen, and the negative things that could go wrong, I am comforted by the Spirit and reassured that everything will be alright. The Lord has a plan for me, and for all of us. Even though we may not know at the time what to expect, we just have to have faith...just as I was told to have faith when I first tore my ACL. I was told it would take anywhere from four months to a year to get out in the mission field, and I just had to have faith that the Lord would allow me to heal in His time, and in His way.

Well, I am out here and doing well. Yesterday I ran a mile for the first time in four months, and I feel great. I have a testimony that through faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, and exact obedience, that miracles can and will happen. We have to be willing to do our part. I love the Gospel, and I love the Savior and what He did for me. I know that through Him all things are made possible. And through faith, miracles can be made, even in this day and forever.

With love,

Elder Madsen

****This is a little additional information from an email Kolby sent me today****


It's been a blast here. I can't believe I leave tomorrow. One of the really cool things about going to the Fresno Mission is that the Mission President is Larry Gelwix (the coach featured in the movie "Forever Strong" about the Highland Rugby Team). So that is way awesome!

I forget that it's almost graduation time. It is not the same here in the MTC. Everything is way slow, but super fast. Tomorrow will be seven Wednesdays in the MTC. Crazy stuff!

I said farewell to my companion today. We also said goodbye to all of our Sisters this morning. It's weird to think that District Meeting tonight will be with only five Elders.

The Danish is coming along really well. While I'm in California, I am going to have to re-translate my teaching back into English. I know the Lord will provide.

Jeg elsker dig. Tak for ale den du har give mig.
I love you. Thank you for all you have given me.

Elder Madsen's First Week in Fresno (May 28, 2013)

Surprise Call from Elder Madsen  (May 16, 2013)

Elder Madsen's Danish District at the Provo MTC


Joel Fuell returned home from his mission two weeks after  Kolby left for the MTC, so they saw each other at the airport before Kolby left for California.



Checking in for his flight to Fresno

Time to go!!