Monday, August 22, 2016

Week 3 in Nicaragua - Elder Brigham Rush

 Written by Elder Brigham Rush, in the Provo Missionary Training Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He is assigned to the Nicaragua Managua North Mission, speaking Spanish.

Okay, week 3 was pretty eventful so get ready for an action packed email. So to start off the week, Elder Perry (the other white elder that got here the same time as me) got super sick and the nurse thought he had zika. Turns out he just drank some bad water and got some super nasty parasites. He was out of commission for about the entire week, but now he's doing a lot better.

The highlight of my week has to do with the funny t-shirts I was talking about last week. So this whole time I've been hoping to see a t-shirt from a high school I recognized or something like that, but I saw something better. As I arrived at my bus stop on our way to our area, I saw a man in a plain white basketball jersey that I thought I recognized. Upon further inspection I look and see the he's wearing a JUNIOR JAZZ rec league basketball jersey. Funniest thing I've seen all week. Along with the herd of cows walking down the street that I sent in my pictures. 
Also, if you were wondering, the game "nose goes" where you touch your nose so you don't have to do something, is a world wide game. Everyone here knows what it means and it's hilarious.
On another note, as you can imagine, my area is a very humble place. Almost all the houses are just tin walls and roof and a dirt floor. If you've ever seen "the Little Rascals" just picture their club house, divide that by about a fourth in size, and you have the houses here. Usually with cable tv though so that's pretty cool. At least they know their priorities. Anyways, one night I walked into this house, it was built very nicely, and the tin all lined up well. The dirt floor was swept (I'm not sure how) and everything was put away in its place. The first thing that came to my mind was "hmm, this is a nice house". In that exact moment, I knew that I was getting used to Nicaragua. 
The last funny thing I want to talk about is the stores here, specifically the advertisements. Every single house has some special thing that they sell, and the way that they advertise that thing is by taping a piece of paper on the door that say "Hay" (which means there is) and then the thing after. My personal favorite is when people are selling popsicles. The signs say "Hay Posicle". Yes, spelled like that. 
I want to finish with a story of a less active member named Lucia. when we started visiting her, she though she had cancer, had no job, and her husband left her and her daughter to be a drunk on the street. Since then, she started going to church, found out that she didn't have cancer, her husband came home one night and we talked to him. He stopped drinking and smoking, and the next week they both found jobs! Not taking any of the credit at all, but God truly is a God of miracles. So I want to leave you with that! I'm sorry if I don't email you back, we only can email for about an hour here so I try to put as much as I can in here. If you were wondering, I still find some fleas in the house, but the epidemic is pretty much over. I love all of you! I hope you have a great week! (still no baptisms) :(
Go to church, it is very important.
- Elder Rush
*currently no links available for this entry* (August 29, 2016)