Saturday, July 9, 2016

MTC Week 3 - Elder Brigham Rush

Elders Austin Ramsey, Jared Avery, Brigham Rush
Written by Elder Brigham Rush, in the Provo Missionary Training Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He is assigned to the Nicaragua Managua North Mission, speaking Spanish.


Hola cada gente!
That may be really bad Spanglish (Spanish-English for those of you that weren't aware) but I don't know. I just liked it because it has the same amount of syllables as everybody. Anyways, there has been a lot of things happen this week so I'm not sure where to start. Jared got to the MTC; that was exciting. I went on an exchange with Elder Wright and we went and greeted him and took him to his room and his classroom and what not. It also happened somehow that we have the same exact schedule, so we have gym and every meal at the same time. He also has his P day today so we are just sitting next to each other emailing all of our friends now. I've been teaching him the ropes so he doesn't get too lost around here.

Me and Elder Mower have been teaching lessons like crazy. We've taught somewhere around 14 lessons since we've gotten to the MTC. All around 30 minutes long and completely in Spanish. The other day we got to teach lessons to people who were actually members so that was nice for a change. We also have 3 other "investigators". One's name is Hely Meza. She's probably 60 years old and she's just a really small catholic lady from Guatemala. She's probably the nicest lady in the world and she's like our main TRC investigator, that we prepare the most for. Our most recent lesson was about the plan of salvation and it was awesome. Then we have Alberto and Ulysses. They are actually just our teachers Hermano Meyers and Hermano Harris, but we do role playing teaching like every day here. It's way tougher to teach them because they are a little harder on us and also it's hard to take them serious most of the time. We used to have an investigator named Santiago, but unfortunately he moved back to Argentina :/ (actually just got assigned another class) but we taught 5 or 6 lessons to him so it was sad that he just dropped off the face of the earth.

Last Satuday we had our International Celebration of Freedom day at the MTC. It was pretty much just 4th of July, except it was on the 2nd and they didn't want any of the missionaries from other countries to feel left out I guess. But we had a big devotional that night, then after we got to go out and watch the fireworks from the Stadium of Fire. Those started at like 10:30 so we didn't have a curfew that night and it was super fun. We got a lot of pictures there so I'll send some of those as well.

Then Sunday was fast Sunday and that was pretty tough. MTC fast Sunday is super intense, then don't give you any options to eat any food so the times that would be breakfast and lunch are actually just more study times and another super huge devotional. Also, we had to be awake at 6:30 AM so it's not like you can just sleep through the hunger. You have to suffer the entire day. But we got some cool devotionals and a nice dinner so it was a nice day I guess. As well as all the blessing from fasting, but that kinda goes without saying.

So all together the MTC has been an awesome experience. I'm not gonna miss this place at all, but I'm glad I get to be here. I love my compañero and my district so much, I'm actually gonna miss this guys when we all go our separate ways on our missions. Half of my district isn't going to Nicaragua either so I'm not going to see them forever. I guess I'm not going to see any of you for that long either... It's super weird to think that I've only been here for like 2 and a half weeks, it feels like this is just my life now. I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything though, I feel the spirit here more and more every day. I can definitely testify of the power of the spirit because I don't know how I would be able to study in a classroom for 9 hours every day without it. I can't wait to be a missionary somewhere where there isn't 2 thousand missionaries around me at all times as well. It will be cool being out in the field, I'm almost half way there.

I hope you are all doing well out there in your lives. Have a good day :)

MTC Week 2 (July 2, 2016)
MTC Week 4 (July 16, 2016)



Elder Brigham Rush (Nicaragua), Elder Jared Avery (Germany)