Monday, September 28, 2015

Where God Wants Us To Be - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Dear Family and Friends,

I am so happy here in Johor Bahru. We elders get along great. They always make my day better. This week I went on exchanges with Elder Lloyd. Holy cow, he is an awesome missionary! I learned so much from him that day. One skill in particular that I noticed is that he has is the ability to make everyone feel a little brighter and valued. I have been neglecting that aspect of the work. Sometimes I just kinda get in a groove and don't take the time that I should to lift people up and make them smile, even if they are not interested in the gospel.

Elder Pearce and I have been talking to everyone and have been finding a lot of potential investigators, but not all of them have been very solid. After a week of getting many phone numbers, but few that showed much potential, Elder Pearce and I began to feel even greater urgency towards the end of the week. Yesterday we were invited by a pastor to teach his Myanmar congregation from a different faith. Elder Pearce and I were super excited for that opportunity! The appointment was not until 6 o'clock, but because we wanted to be punctual and be sure that we could find the place, we went to the neighborhood by his place a couple hours before our appointment to contact. We ended up finding a couple people of interest, then proceeded to the appointment. We got a little turned around and found ourselves in an industrial area (a place we avoid because there is never anyone to talk to there). As we walked we saw a Chinese man a little ways off standing by his car. I made up my mind that when we got to where he was we would talk to him.

When we got closer, I went to speak and was caught off guard when he spoke first. He smiled and said, "Hey! You are from Salt Lake!" Yeah, we were way surprised by that. He then told us that he had studied Economics at the University of Utah. His name is D**. He is a local and he was in the area because he is starting a factory there that makes the yellow and white road paint. As we got to know him, he was very receptive to us. He said, "All of my friends are Mormons. I never joined, but I used to go to church in Utah all of the time. They don't have your church here." We excitedly told him we have two chapels in Johor (one of which is within 10 minutes by car). We got his information and number and are meeting with him soon. We are not sure if he wants to meet with us out of interest to investigate for the church, but I am sure as we begin to meet with him he will feel the Spirit and his desire to learn will increase. The lesson with the preacher ended up falling through, but it led us to meet D**. It's all part of the plan and being where God wants us to be.

This Sunday was missionary week in our branch. I was asked to speak on anything I wanted. I endedPreach My Gospel, Chapter 13, and explaining the roles of both missionaries and members in missionary work, and how we can be a more effective team. Hopefully someone felt something, haha. We are stilling working with the members on a branch mission plan, but only the branch mission leader seems interested in it. We will keep working on it. Hope your week goes swell.
up sharing and expounding on parts from

Love,
Elder Avery

The Lord Qualifies Us for His Work (September 21, 2015)

Moving Again  (October 5, 2015)
Gotta love an elephant tie!! :)