Monday, September 21, 2015

Graceland - Sister Maren Madsen

Written by Sister Maren Madsen, serving in the Arkansas Little Rock Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Yeah, we still ride bikes on bike week and when we don't have a car during the winter we will either be on our bikes or walking. That'll be interesting... It has cooled down, but it is still pretty hot. There was one day when it was nicer to be outside than it was inside. But that was just once. But the weather is starting to get better. But it makes me nervous for next year because I am told that this year has been pretty cool... I'm going to come back as a ginger for sure... My hair.. Haha

So,  yesterday the Assistants to the President (APs) called and Hermana Reed is training. Then this morning we got another call saying that she was going to be training here and I am leaving to the Arkansas side... How sad! It's especially sad because our companionship just started getting more into a friendship than just a companionship. But I guess I am needed somewhere else. I am really going to miss this area and the people. There are so many great people being taught and I have been able to see how an increase of patience can make the everything change.

We found this family who we have taught before but I guess now they are ready because it was one of those lessons where neither of us wanted to leave, but unfortunately we aren't allowed to just stay and teach for hours on end. Plus, we had an appointment with our less active member. Awe Ju**! He is so awesome! We helped him set up an LDS Singles account, yeah, that was fun! :)

One thing that I have grown to love about obedience is the secret little fruits that blossom from every little commandment or mission rule I obey. If I go to bed at 10:30, then I am not tired the next day. If I start studies right at 8, then I have time sufficient to learn everything I need to for the day before I go out and try to teach someone else. If I keep meal times to only an hour or less, then I am physically fed and spiritually ready for the next task ahead and I don't have to feel like a slacker missionary wasting my time in places where I am not the most effective. Not only are the obvious blessings present but obedience shapes my whole experience here. When I decide that no matter how good an idea I may think I have, being humble enough to forget myself and submit to God's will is always the better option. Because making that silent declaration of, "you are the pastor and I am the sheep" will always lead to the path of the most joy.

Graceland
As a missionary and a member of His church, obedience is our eternal struggle. Even when we don't know what’s best for ourselves sometimes He does, and forever will. Now, I know that we can't all just be obedient drones and only worry about being in the form of discipleship rather than in the spirit of it. I know lots of missionaries who are consistently so worried about making sure they are staying inside the lines that they forget that there is a game going on. And really it just drives them crazy and they are just never happy. The trick I think is to find the deeper meaning to every commandment we have. That way, when the reason is understood more that the action, we are not being obedient, we are changing. And changing into a celestial being is the only way to truly be happy. And that's what we all want, right?

Well, next week I will be in Arkansas and it will be a whole different experience. But I am excited to get started.

Love you so much! (I'm working on the Spanish video)

Hermana Madsen

I won't know until Wednesday. But it will most likely be either South Little Rock or Monticello.

I Put Jesus on the Counch Next to Me  (September 14, 2015)

Arkansas  (September 28, 2015)

Wall outside Graceland