Saturday, August 29, 2015

Trying Not to Get in the Way of Christ's Light - Sister Heather Adams

Written by Sister Heather Adams, training at the Provo Missionary Training Center for her service in the Mexico Culiacan Mission. Because of her Spanish proficiency, Sister Adams will only be in the MTC for two weeks.




Mis hermanas at the Provo Temple
At the Mexican Consulate



















Hello everyone!

This week was great. It went by really fast though! I can't believe that I only have two more full days here at the MTC.... wow. Here I come, Mexico!

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!!!! Thanks for all you do for me. I love you and miss you! I sent a letter a couple days before your birthday to the whole family, so I am hoping it got there in time to wish you a happy birthday!

So this week my companions and I went to the Mexican Consulate! It was crazy to be out in the real world again.... I passed by Ventana, UVU, our freeway exit, and also Dad's office! It was so great! Also, when we got there we met a very nice returned sister missionary who took a picture for us and sent it to our family members. Blessings are everywhere :) Mis hermanas y yo have found out that our moms are all now in touch (I wouldn't have expected anything less ;) ). It's so great to have such great family and support! I am really going to miss these girls. They are going to do wonderfully in the mission field - they are already so obedient and sensitive to the Spirit! :)

We started teaching our TRC..... which honestly I don't know what that even stands for because I forgot when they told us. But basically it's a person from the "outside" (haha, I keep talking like we are in a different world here.... we kind of are I guess! We like to call it the "Garden of Eden" of the mission. Everything is great and soon we will get a pretty big reality check! haha) who comes to be taught by the missionaries. We don't know if they are members or not, but I have learned that that doesn't matter. Missionaries can be of aid to anyone - members included. Our investigator, Iv**, was a chatterbox for sure! Again, while we were preparing for our first lesson with her, we could sense things about her personality and what she is like. We knew there was a lot of light and passion for life in her, and sure enough, we are right!

The Spirit amazes me every day. We are promised that if we really, truly listen to our investigators instead of thinking what we need to say next, we will be blessed to say something inspired in the very moment. That's what happened with Iv**. She was going on about how she doesn't have TV at her house, and then I felt inspired to ask her something and all of the sudden all of her attention was turned to the lesson. She was learning so much, and we didn't have to "prove" anything to her! I could see her being enlightened by the Spirit. She understood so much! It was incredible. Now I see why we have so many missionary rules. It's because we can't afford to offend the Spirit and not have His help!

Seriously, the Spirit is the most key thing to missionary work. Yesterday the district and I watched some Mormon messages. One of them was the story about the man named Chris who lost his family to a drunk driver. He reacted tremendously well, and showed so much compassion for the young man who did all of this. One of the things he said was that he didn't want everyone to think he was so forgiving because of something he did. He said something along the lines of "this is just Christ's light, and I just try to not get in the way of it."

That is totally what we are doing here as missionaries. I could never help a complete stranger change their life if it weren't for the Savior, our Heavenly Father, and their messenger, the Holy Ghost.

I have really come to love my District and Zone. I am going to miss them, but it is important that we continue looking forward! Elder Corbridge of the Seventy spoke to us last Sunday and told us that we can't drive looking in the rear view mirror - as in, we can't go our whole missions looking backward. There is so much to look forward to!

So Monday morning I will head over to the travel office at 5:00 a.m. to start on my way to the airport.... WHAT?! Is this real life?! Oh, and also, I am the travel leader of my enormous group of 2. ;) Elder Carter I believe is the other one in my group. So hopefully things go smoothly!

One of the things that I realized last night is that all of the things that have happened in our lives build us into exactly who we are today, and exactly who we are is who we need to be here in the mission. (Just like you always say, Dad!) I have been able to share what I have learned with people in my District and Branch that maybe someone else couldn't have been able to relate to. I love that that's the way this work is! One day, I was thinking "why don't we just have perfectly worded videos to show everyone?" Well, that's because even though our words aren't perfect, we are human!

One thing that I am remembering more often in missionary work is that we are not trying to introduce something new into someone's life, we are trying to remind them of what they once knew. Every single person who came here to Earth knew our Father in Heaven. They are not strangers to the Spirit.

This work truly does bring so much joy, and I have barely even started! I can't wait. I will be excited to talk to you all when I get to Mexico.

I love you all!
Our MTC District

Hermana Adams

We Are Called Because We Have More Faith Than Intelligence (August 24, 2015)


Mis hermanas

I found my neighbor!