Wednesday, October 23, 2013

70 DAYS! - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hey family and friends!

Guess what?! I have been a missionary for 70 days! CRAZY right?! Time is flying!!! How are you all doing?? We had a VERY busy week, and I saw many miracles and blessings too! Here`s the scoop!

First, we had "entrevistas" (interviews) with our Mission President on Tuesday. It went super well! Thank the heavens, he speaks English, haha! I am getting better with Spanish, of course, but I was happy to not have to worry about trying to say everything in Spanish for once! These interviews only happen every three months, and it is just to see how we are doing. President said he can tell that I'm happy here in Ovalle, and that Hermana Mori is teaching me everything I need to know. He is a great Mission President, and is so helpful to the missionaries! Just so you know, we are super safe and are loving the work in Ovalle!

I FINALLY received my checking card! Yay! I can buy food now, haha! Nah, I had money before, but now I don't have to have my money transferred to my companion's card anymore. It's much easier now :) We did have a tough week with showers...we didn't have gas, so we showered COLD! UGH! Yah, this girl does NOT like cold showers...but, you have to do what you have to do... you can't smell like cows when you're preaching the Gospel, haha! We are getting more gas today, so this week will ROCK!

Shout out to my cutie girl, Justyce, for going into the MTC (Missionary Training Center) this week! I am SOOOO proud of you, girl! Remember who you are, your purpose, and stay strong!

We had Noche de Hogar (Family Home Evening) with Sofia and Catalina again this week! They will be baptized this Saturday! I can't wait to send photos so you guys can see! They are super excited, and I am too! I am super excited to see them baptized... it makes me think about my baptism :) What a sweet memory! Entering the waters of baptism and making covenants with our Savior to always follow Him, and do what he has commanded...what an amazing gift! Have I mentioned enough times that I LOVE what I do?! Really though, it is a beautiful work!!

We also had "intercambios" this week, which is where we trade companions for a day and go into another area. I am not going to lie, I actually don't like doing this because it's teaching with someone that I am not used to teaching with, and the area is a place that I don't know. It is tough, but it always turns out to be okay. And it is only every two weeks...not too bad. And, I do learn a lot of good things, like how to improve in teaching, etc. Good things do come out of it, but I just like my normal routine with my companion :)

I am so glad to hear that Rebekah and Abigail both had good birthdays! I am sorry that I could t be there, but I am so glad that you guys had fun! I was singing for you here in Ovalle! haha!

On Saturday, Hermana Mori and I stopped by a place where they sell hamburgers and fries...OH MY GOODNESS...In my delight, I called it Heaven :) The guy who owns the place is from Brazil. It was super greasy and salty...YUMMM, haha! We never eat stuff like that, so it was a treat!

The most interesting thing we ate this week...this wonderful lady in our congregation (of very humble circumstances) made chicken insides. No, I could not bring myself to eat it. I gave my portion to Hermana Mori while the lady wasn't looking because Hermana Mori is used to eating that (she ate it in her home country of Peru all the time), and I didn't want to hurt the lady's feelings by leaving it on my plate. I am super grateful for her willingness to prepare lunch for us in her home. Although she doesn't have much, she gave us what she could. What a sweet lady :)

We had a district activity this morning, and we went to this super cool place. I think it's called Valle de Corazon or something...**Note from Mom: It's called Valle de Encanto). There are lots of ancient pictographs on the rocks from 500 BC! I took pics for you guys. Seriously, it was really cool!!!!

Well my family and friends, as always, I hope that you all have a fabulous week! Please know that I love and miss you all so much, and that you are always in my prayers. And, thank you for all of your prayers, love and support! You are the best! I will talk to you next week! Ciao! :)

Con mucho amor (with much love),

Hermana Avery <3

"I was praying to my God!" (October 17, 2013)

My First Baptisms in Chile (October 28, 2013)

The greasy pizza place called Heaven :)
Beautiful flower shop near our house in Ovalle, Chile.
This is one of the pictographs from
Valle de Encanto - so cool!!
On the way to Valle de Encanto...look at that sky!

Another photo from our drive to Valle de Encanto










Hermana Mori and me on Preparation Day, the one day a
week we get to wear jeans!