Monday, December 3, 2018

Holy Que!?! - Sister Rebekah Avery

Written by Sister Rebekah Avery, training in the Provo Missionary Training Center in preparation for her service in the Portugal Lisbon Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

Ola! Tambem!

This week when Sister Van Buskirk and I were walking in from dinner she got super excited and confused simultaneously, and exclaimed "Holy-que!", which I think pretty much summarizes my life right now! Every thing's very exciting and confusing, but most of all holy. Not to mention, I laugh at myself a lot.

The Spirit is so strong here, it's almost easy to think that I'm not feeling it because I feel it so constantly in my life. Every day I become more and more astounded at how my capacity to learn, grown, and teach has been increased exponentially by the power of the Holy Ghost. God is truly consecrating my efforts here.

One big example of this was on Friday, when my district decided that we were going to have an English Fast, or um jejum de ingles. I was really impressed with how much we were able to communicate, while also laughing at how little we spoke during meal times because we don't quite know enough to tell complete stories in Portuguese yet. The Lord truly does bless His missionaries to learn the language.

I think that one of the biggest mistakes that missionaries make is focusing TOO much on the language, thereby omitting important spiritual study time. Yes, it's frustrating when you can't communicate the thoughts and feelings of your heart, but the Holy Ghost CAN! I know this, because whenever I stop looking at the notes, open my mouth and speak, even though I make a thousand and one mistakes, the Spirit conveys the message of my soul to them, and if they're willing, they can receive it. That doesn't mean that I'm going to stop learning Portuguese, but it does mean that I'm focusing more on being that person that can invite the Spirit and demonstrate God's love to those I teach.

Another huge thing that I felt inspired by this week was the Christmas Devotional on Sunday. For anyone who didn't have the opportunity to watch it, go to lds.org/ and you can watch the broadcast. The music and words given truly helped to point my focus towards the Savior as we celebrate His birth.

I really love my Savior so much. I don't know if I've done the best job at showing it the past couple of days, because I haven't let it show in my countenance as much as I ought. Last night, listening to the choir and the Prophet speak about the power of Christ's grace, I remembered something that one of my Portuguese teachers told us. "Sometimes it's easy to have faith that the long term will work out - like that one day you will be fluent in Portuguese. But it's equally as important to have faith in the short term". I realized in that moment that I wasn't showing my faith, because I was letting my heart be weighed down by things out of my control. Yes, I know that one day I'll be with my family forever, that one day I'll find success, and reach those people who need me in their lives. However, I need to have faith in the now, that right now I am okay, and that Christ's atoning sacrifice, His infinite love for me, has the power to change me and my heart NOW. I CAN be happy now. And I am.

Christ didn't atone for us so that we would be sad forever and live life as shadows and one day receive joy. No. He atoned for us so that we could have joy Right Here, and Right Now. It's a process, like everything else in life, but I know that the Lord is with us ever single step of the way. He is cheering us on, He is lifting us up, and if we lay our burdens before the Lord then He will bear them with us.

I really do apologize for my super long emails, but I hope that y'all know how much I love you and how much God loves you. He knows your weaknesses and infirmities, and He will remind you in the little ways. Like having Mac 'n Cheese as an option for dinner on a really hard day, your companion making you laugh until you snort San Pelligrino out your nose, and most of all by reminding you that life is beautiful when it snows, even if it's really really cold outside. Take a moment and realize that God's hand is truly manifest in every detail of our lives, and live life wondrously, knowing that you are beloved.

Eu sei que Deus ama seus filhos. O livro de Mórmon testifica de Jesus Cristo, e ele é lá palavra de Deus. Por meio da Expiação nos podemos voltar a viver com nosso Pai Celestial e nossas famílias também. Por favor, vai orar a Deus saber a veracidade do Livro de Mórmon. Você pode sentir o amor de Cristo quando você lê as escrituras e orar. Você vai ver o mão de Deus em sua vida, e saber que Ele ama você. E se eu consigo aprender Português, você conegue ler o Livro de Mórmon e receber um testemunho.

Todos de Meu Amor,
Sister Avery

YOUR CHALLENGE: Pray to recognize God's hand in YOUR life and BE the Light of Christ in someone else's life. Visit the link below if you want help getting started :)


*fun fact: seja a luz do mundo is how you say "light the world" in Portuguese, but literally translated it means "Be the Light of the World"*

Later in the day.......
I’m going to the medical clinic for another check up at 9:45, so maybe you’ll be able to keep me from getting too bored? Sister Van Buskirk and I are also planning our first complete lesson in Portuguese for tonight. Everyone lose is doing the first vision/restoration, but we felt it was important to do the doctrine of Christ and invite them to repent, so we’ll have to see how that goes.

The language is coming pretty well, I officially have the basic core, mission purpose, first vision, and most Moroni 10:3-5 down. So that’s good XD Irmão Cannon and Irma Miller have been great helps and say that we’re getting the language super well. But they also have to say that, so I’m not too sure how much it counts XD

Love you!
Yes, I am living, don’t worry.
Sister Avery