Monday, April 11, 2016

In the Woodlands - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Elders Spurrier and Avery - Singapore Mission
Dear Family and Friends,

We are seeing a lot of success in the Woodlands Ward. One of the nice things about serving in a ward is I don't have to worry about the church functioning properly in the area I serve. Church meetings run without me having to worry about anything.

I am increasing my faith by striving to apply the teachings and revelation I received during General Conference. I especially loved Elder Holland's talk about preparing for tomorrow. I think the future has definitely always been one of my biggest fears, because sometimes I question my ability to be the servant God wants me to be. The great news is that God blesses us for trying, God loves us no matter what, and God wants to bless us. Moving forward with faith ultimately comes from faith in both the redemptive and enabling powers of the atonement. The only failure comes from not trying to take our discipleship to a higher level.

This week I went on exchanges with Elder Riddle from the KL (Kuala Lumpur) Zone and Elder Stenquist from the Sibu Zone. I am so impressed with a lot of the missionaries in our mission.

Elder Riddle and I had a great exchange. I feel like he does a great job of talking to everyone and teaching while he finds. While on the exchange with Elder Riddle we had an awesome miracle. We were meeting with a member to teach him the Restoration. Before we went to the lesson, Elder Riddle and I said a prayer that we would be able to find someone we could teach during that appointment with the member. We were meeting the member at one of the MRT stations. When we arrived to the MRT station we had the member say a prayer that we would find someone to attend our lesson with him. When he finished his prayer Elder Riddle and I both felt impressed to talk to the same person. We ended up being able to persuade this person to sit in on our lesson with the member. The guy we found did not seem super interested, but I feel like it was a priceless experience for the member who was with us.

Elder Stenquist and I had a lot of appointments fall through on our exchange, which was alright because we ended up doing a lot of finding because of it. Elder Stenquist said that the things he learned the most on the exchange was asking good questions as we find people, and teaching while we find. I think that he does a great job of talking to everyone and I think he loved being able to contact people who are educated enough to have a good gospel conversation. It felt really good to be around Elder Stenquist. Exchanging with him increased my faith.

We had a lot of member appointments this week and we had multiple new investigators from part member and less active families this week. I think the members are really starting to trust us. We are mainly just sharing very brief Restoration lessons with them and inviting them to invite their friends to listen. It seems to have pretty good success. We will also be meeting the young men in the ward this week. We only have three young men right now and that needs to change! haha. The members here are awesome.

Love,
Elder Joshua Avery

Singapore! (April 4, 2016)

Be Honest with Yourself  (April 18, 2016)