Monday, July 21, 2014

Nine Months in Mexico - Sister Justyce Oliphant

Written by Sister Justyce Oliphant, serving in the Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.
 
Hello!

We do a lot of walking and praying that someone will open their door and let us in!

I miss my harp so much. I don't have calluses to play it but I can't wait to build them up again!

We had our interviews with our new mission president this last week! His name is Arley George and is from Cody, Wyoming! His wife doesn't speak Spanish and while we were waiting our turn for our interviews, I had the opportunity to work with her in the kitchen (making sandwiches!) and got to know her and also translated everything so that my companion could participate in the conversation!
In my interview, President shared a few scriptures that I really love about how we are the clay in the hands of the Lord. (Isaiah 64:8 and Jeremiah 18:1-6) I love them! We then talked a lot about marriage and how I am learning things from each companion to prepare me for when I find my future husband. He also talked about having the end in mind when we make choices. El fin en mente! We need to remember that every choice, every decision, has a consequence and it can be either good or bad.

President George also told me about the meaning of threshold (the part under a door). It's called that because before there were floors in houses people would put thresh (like the stalks from wheat) on the floor so that it wouldn't be so muddy, but when people would walk out of the house they would drag the thresh with them. So they put a piece of wood across the opening of the door to hold in the thresh. Therefore, its called a thresh hold! (I hope that makes sense!).

We have been going to provide the sacrament to a family who lives far away each Sunday. We leave before 8 in the morning and ride in the back of a pickup in the wind!!! Needless to say our hair is a bit messy when we get there, but hey, it's all part of the adventure!

Well as for my investigators, we had to stop visiting a lot because they just don't want to read, or pray, or go to church. We were teaching a teenager who seemed really excited to learn, accepted baptism and wanted to come to church; but then something terrible happened....his girlfriend died. Now he doesn't want to pray, or anything. We have been visiting him with some guys in the ward, but there isn't any progress happening which is so sad.

Two sisters are progressing towards their date for baptism! One has told her older sister, who is a member, that she wants to be baptized! The other sister does too, but she is a little scared. We pray for them every day and have been trying to visit them different times each week. It's a little hard because they work, but if everything goes good they can be baptized in about 3 weeks!

We have another investigator who loves listening and wants to change her life but won't go to church!! She always says that she and her family will be there, but they haven't made it. But she has been sharing the gospel with her friends and invited them to listen to our message, so at least she knows that it's true!

Well, I am afraid that my time is just about up for today. I love you all!

Love
Hermana Oliphant

Happy Birthday, Sister Oliphant! (July 21, 2014)