Monday, July 7, 2014

My Yoke is Easy - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hey guys! :)

Wow, has it really been another week already?! Is anyone else feeling like the time is just flying by? I feel like I just wrote you all yesterday! :)

I hope that you all had a great 4th of July! :) Hermana Giron and I celebrated with ice cream and "churipan" which is chorizo with bread. Super good. It doesn't exist in the USA, but it made up for the BBQ that we didn't get to have this year, haha!! What did you all do this weekend? It was sure weird to feel like the only person on the planet celebrating the 4th of July in Chile, but you know, gotta celebrate your country's freedom, even when you are millions of miles away!

So, this week we had to REALLY fight against Satan...ugh! When we are preparing for baptisms, the temptations for our investigators are just ridiculous....but, we finished the week with a SUCCESSFUL baptism interview for A** M**, who will be baptized this Saturday, July 12th! :) His children will be baptized by him when he receives the priesthood in two weeks :) It's the sweetest thing ever to think that a man who once was a big time smoker and drinker, with hardly any unity in his family, is now going to make covenants with our Father in Heaven and baptize his children with the power and authority of God..... wow. If that's not miracle, I don't know what it is! It's truly incredible to be an instrument in changing the lives of others for the better!

This morning, my companion was feeling a little bit sick, so she slept in and I stayed up and had extra study time!! woohoo! (not for her being sick, but to study more haha!). I studied a lot about the Atonement, repentance, and forgiveness. It was awesome! I found some really great scriptures to use in lessons, but most of all, this morning, I was able to feel the love of my Savior for me, and for others. His sacrifice is sufficient for everyone, no matter what we have done in the past. It is only through His grace and sacrifice that we can be clean and return to live with our Father in Heaven. I know that I am not perfect, and that I never will be. But what I do know, is that there is one person who is perfect, and who is walking by my side everyday helping me become the person I need to be.

A scripture that has become one of my favorites in the mission is in 1 Nephi 21:14-16. It says, "But, behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me—but he will show that he hath not. For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me."

Friends and family, many times in our lives, we feel alone, or that we maybe aren't good enough to receive the help and love of the Lord. As a representative of Jesus Christ, I testify to you all that the love of Christ is big enough for everyone and anyone. As it says in this scripture, the Lord can't forget us, because everyday he can look down and see the marks in His own hands and feet, and He will always remember what He did for each and every one of us. The "walls", trials and affictions in our lives may seem great, but remember that He went through it all first. He knows how to help you and lift you over the wall. He is on the other side, ready to help. I am a personal witness of an imperfect girl who made her way back to Christ through the Atonement. I have done it myself, and have seen others do it hundreds of times in my life and my mission. The Lord has not forgetten you!! His atoning love changes our concept of perfection. We can put our trust in Him, diligently keep His commandments, and continue in the faith. Fully accepting our Savior’s Atonement can increase our faith and give us courage to let go of expectations that we are somehow required to be or to make things perfect. Remember what He has said in the scriptures, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light”

Well guys, I hope that you all have a great week! I love you all sooooo much! I will have pics from the baptism this Saturday for you all next week :) I love you and will talk to you next week!

xoxoxoox Hermana Avery

Never Walk Alone (June 30, 2014)

Be Ye Therefore Converted  (July 14, 2014)