Monday, November 19, 2018

Week One is in the Books! - Sister Rebekah Avery

Written by Sister Rebekah Avery, training in the Provo Missionary Training Center in preparation for her service in the Portugal Lisbon Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Ola! Eu sou viva e muito bem!

The past five or so days have been the best days of my life. I'm not just saying that to say that either.

From the very first moment that I walked into the Mission Training Center, I have felt like this is where I belong and what I've been meant to do for a long time. It's almost as if my whole life has been leading up until this very moment. My heart is so full of joy, light, and happiness that I feel as though I need to share it or else I might burst. Luckily I have an amazing companion, Sister Van Buskirk, whom I can shower with all of the excess love I want.

Missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints always are in companionships of two or three, so it was a minor adjustment at first. However, I definitely lucked out.

Sister Van Buskirk (my companion) and I have gotten along so well, it's not even funny! She is the most beautiful, kind, wonderful person that I have ever met. It helps that we're also very similar in interests, personality, and temperament! But more than that, she has been a wonderful example of Christ-like love and charity as I have needed to visit the doctor repeatedly over the past couple of days. Even though we hardly knew each other in the beginning, she readily agreed to stay with me while we tried to figure out what was wrong, and has never once complained. Her patience is exemplary and something which I pray to be able to incorporate into my own character in the future.

God has definitely been with us, because despite missing the first two or three days of classes, we haven't fallen terribly behind and the Branch President said that her Portuguese is the best he's heard in the MTC (she had to speak in Church on Sunday, completely in Portuguese). I guess it helps that while I've been getting stuck with needles, she's had the opportunity to study in the waiting room! Both of spoke French before our missions though, so it's been quite the challenge trying to adjust, but we're usually able to relate our Portuguese vocabulary to our French one, saying "oh, voce is like vous, and estar is like ester!". Up until we hear the French missionaries across the hall speaking and our minds switch over, that is :)

Yesterday was definitely my highlight though. The whole day I was able to feel the Spirit. I received so many revelations for how I can better myself and improve before flying to Portugal in six weeks. Mostly I was reminded that none of this is about me. This is about the people who have been waiting to hear the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and those who have been missing His light in their lives. Sometimes the greatest service we can render is to simply smile and remind people that they are loved, that they have worth, and that there is always hope.

Furthermore, I had a very good reminder that this isn't about me. This is about the people the Portugal. If I try to learn Portuguese for myself, so that I can say, "Look how good my Portuguese is!" then I won't have the Spirit with me and I won't be able to learn as well/fast. Whereas, if I pray to learn Portuguese so that I can better love and serve the people I meet, and be a better instrument in the Lord's hands, then I will learn. E entao eu podema falar e apprender Portuguese par os.

Now, you're probably wondering if I'm still sick. So far, no. I am doing much better and am taking medication that should help, but they said that based on my blood work that it isn't contagious or anything. In fact, they don't quite know that it is/was, so they're making some educated guesses based on what they do know.

However, I would like to bear witness of the power of Priesthood blessings. The same day that I received a blessing from our Zone Leaders (two Elders who are also going to Portugal Lisboa), I stopped having the same pains and symptoms I'd been experiencing. I ate food for the first time in over twenty-four hours, and the next day I was able to go to all of my classes. The words said in that blessing were not the words of two young men, but rather the words of my Father in Heaven, spoken directly to me, with a mindfulness of my situation. He truly knows me personally and has been with me through this whole experience.

Eu sai que Jesus Cristo e o filho de Deus, e ele ama nos. Tambem, nos somos os filhos de um Pai Celestial. Nos podemos voltar a vivar com Deus par meio da Expiacao. Sister Van Buskirk e me somos missionarias de Jesus Cristo, e nos podemos apprendar Portuguese!!!

Desculpe, I don't know how to put all of the accents in there yet using an English keyboard.

Know that I love each and everyone of you, and I will try my best to not write so much in the future! Take care! And if you aren't praying now, I encourage you to try and have an open heart to what results and answers may come. If you expect failure, that's what you'll get, so have hope and know that Deus sempre escuta as nossas oracoes - God always listens to our prayers.

Tchau! Boa Sorte!
Sister Avery
Sister Avery Reports to the MTC (November 14, 2018)

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!  (November 26, 2018)