Sunday, May 22, 2016

Faith in Christ - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

(Elder Avery sent a voice recording last week instead of an email.) 

Dear Family and Friends,

My faith in Jesus Christ has grown a lot this week as I have been reading the Book of Mormon. I feel like every week when I share how my faith has grown, it almost always has something to do with the Book of Mormon. I don't think that is a bad thing at all. The Book of Mormon gives me the Faith, Focus, Energy, and Skills I need to be successful in life and missionary work. To all of those Book of Mormon haters or people who are unsure about whether or not it is true, I say to you, "There is no fruit that is more sweet and joyous to my soul. No book has inspired me to do good, love God, and forsake sin like the Book of Mormon...or in other words QUIT JUDGING MY APPLE BY EATING ORANGES!" This past week I was reading Alma's advice to his sons. It was amazing!


This week one of my favorite miracles was when one of our investigators named R** came to church with her family. She is from China and her husband is local. Her husband is a less active member. We went to go visit him and found out he had a wife who was not a member and they have two kids. We are teaching her the lessons and reteaching him the lessons. She has amazing faith and keeps every commitment we give her. She is the one encouraging her husband to come to church and helping him keep the word of wisdom. It is pretty amazing. I was so happy when they were all at church yesterday. It was definitely the highlight of my week :)


Our members seem to be more involved and on the same page now. I am definitely loving the marble jar. We are having the members put in their marbles when they helped us teach a lesson or gave a referral and they seem to love it. We already have a good amount of marbles. This week the ward mission leader talked to the other ward missionaries about how we need to step it up as a ward because we are supposed to be the "example ward." They seem to be catching some fire.

Love you all,

Elder Avery



Mother's Day (May 8, 2016)

Fire in the Woodlands  (May 29, 2016)