Friday, July 17, 2015

Great Week - Elder Braden Jeppson

Written by Elder Braden Jeppson, training at the Provo Missionary Training Center (MTC) of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He will serve in the New York New York South Mission, speaking English.

Hello everyone how are you? I miss you all but I'm having a great time! I've had many experiences in the past week. First we were at our Tuesday devotional and a member of the area of the 70 was speaking. And my companion Elder Turnbow fell asleep. And just as the speaker was sharing a spiritual experience Elder Turnbow let out the biggest fart I've heard! And there was two thousand missionaries there. He farted himself awake. And like five rows behind us and five rows in front heard it. So after he realized what happened he put his head down and his face went bright red. It was probably the funniest moment of my life and I couldn't stop laughing. I laughed the whole rest of the talk. And now around campus he is known as "Turnbutt" and the legend. It was great. 

And then there was one night I was really struggling so I got down and prayed about what my purpose here was and to have a change of heart. So that night I was reading my scriptures and I thought I was in Heleman 10 but I was actually in 3 Nephi 10 and didn't realize it until after. So I was reading verses 3-6 and after I read that it came to me that this mission isn't about me. It's about the people of New York. And it was like I was told to get over myself and go gather up those who don't have the gospel and bring them back to the Lord. It was very humbling. This has been great. 

And then I was really struggling for a few days and I didn't know if the mission was for me. But like the third day my companion Elder Turnbow was having bad anxiety and was thinking about going home. So I pulled him into a room and i suggested we pray. So we did and after he said He felt peaceful. And he started hugging me andcrying then said "you're one of the reasons I'm not going home" That also made me realize what my purpose here was.  It was one of the greatest experiences and I felt so good about it.  

And then Tuesday I had another experience. Our district had a discussion about what we were feeling. And all the Elders and sisters were sharing personal experiences and it was powerful for everyone but me. I felt bad because I was the only one that wasn't feeling the spirit and I felt like I didn't belong here. And I didn't know why.  But after that the greatest thing happened. Elder Matthews (In my district) wanted a blessing. So the district leader, Elder Jones, asked him who he wanted to give it to him. And once he said that I had a prompting it was going to be me. So like 30 seconds later Elder Matthews asked me if I could give him the blessing. So I said yes. I started giving it to him and the spirit hit me hard! I don't remember saying this but I said "I bless you with comfort and the spirit while you teach" and then said "We bless you to know you're family is okay and is your biggest support system" and then it ended and he was crying and gave me a big hug. It really showed me I was needed here and I have a purpose.

I go to New York on Monday and I've never been more excited. I can't wait to see what I'm getting myself into. Thanks for all the love and support.

With love, Elder Jeppson

I'm Alive  (July 10, 2015)

We're All Alive  (July 27, 2015)

For more photos and updates, please visit Elder Jeppson's personal blog: elderbradenjeppson.blogspot.com