Monday, October 13, 2014

Last Week in the Mission - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

My dear family,

FIRST OFF!!! GOOD LUCK ELDER AVERY!!! You will be an amazing missionary!

This week has been great! We had interviews with the mission president this week. A solid 8 minute interview (that's what happens when you have to interview 255 missionaries). He told me that I have a 30 minute interview coming up, so we basically talked about the VC (Visitors' Center) and things that need to happen there. I also talked to Sister Jenkins, and she is so sweet. She told me that when she thinks of me, she thinks of the Visitors' Center and of my foster brother:) She teared up and told me that she loves me.

On Wednesday, we had ZTM (Zone Training Meeting) and it was a good training. At the end, they asked me to bare my testimony. That was hard, because I stood up in front of all the people that I love and bore my soul. I cried, of course. It was a spiritual experience. That night was amazing! We had a lesson with our investigator Maria! She was telling us all about what she learned in General Conference. She took note of what she needed to improve on. She also shared with us what she is learning in the Book of Mormon.

We had a lesson with a less active member in the VC right after. He had been less active for 40 years, then something happened and he decided he needed to come back. He is so sweet:) And so humble. After that we had a lesson with our recent convert. We are in the middle of teaching the new member lessons. We reviewed the Plan of Salvation, and his countenance just changed. It is cool, because since this last week, he has been more opened to sharing the gospel.

On Friday morning, we had preparation meeting (it was my last one, because this coming week will be a breakfast and testimony meeting). President was there. Elder Cameron (VC director) talked about the importance of companionships, and how we are there to support one another. He was frank and stern, but gentle about it. He talked about companionship inventories and how he knows it is hard to be with someone 24/7. He said that in all their years of marriage, he and Sister Cameron had never been together this often. So they are doing companion inventory. My question is, to all you married people out there, do you do companionship inventory?? Do you even know what that is??

At the end of his training, Sister Castillo and I did a demonstration of a companionship inventory. In the beginning of it, she started tearing up, which made me cry, which made everyone else cry. At the end, we got a lot of good feedback. President met with us afterward and we discussed transfers. We planned out the next two transfers with him. And he took our suggestions. It was a great experience counseling together regarding transfers. One that I will never forget.

On Sunday, we got a referral form the English speaking missionaries. We went and contacted her and she was the sweetest lady ever! She told us that she had a copy of the Book of Mormon, but hasn't read it yet. She told us she'll read before we come back so we can talk about it!! So excited for that.

This morning we woke up at 5:30 and we went hiking. It was a hieroglyphic trail. SOOOO PRETTY!! I loved it! We went with all the VC sister missionaries. I'll send pictures. As we were up there, we sang some hymns and then, all of a sudden, these two men appeared out of no where and started recording us. We soon realized that they were members. At the end of our singing, they shared a spiritual message with us. One of them is a double amputee, so he shared his experience with that. It was a really great hike!

Well, that was the quickest I have ever written an email. I hope it all makes sense! I love you all!! Have a great week!

Sister Lindsey Jeppson
Mesa Arizona Mission

Farewell (October 20, 2014)

Winding Down  (October 6, 2014)