Monday, July 28, 2014

Pioneer Day and Tamales - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hola mi familia!!

So it has been a great week. We had transfers this week, and are you ready to find out what's gonna happen? Three English sisters went home, and three are coming in. I have known since Tuesday. President called us and asked us for our input, then a few hours later he called again and told us what was going to happen. This transfer isn't going to be as drastic as the last.

Ok, so here it is. I am getting transferred. My new area is Tierra Rica which is near my first area. I'm going to miss it here, but I'm excited to go to this branch.

My new companion is Hermana Castillo!! She is amazing!! Love her! She is from California but her family is from Guatemala.. She speaks fluent Spanish and English but I'm going to ask her to speak only in Spanish because my Spanish has really suffered. Sister Orr is staying in our area, but taking it full field. We were sad that we only got one transfer together. She'll go to BYU after, so we'll still be friends.

There are two Visitors' Center (VC) trainers now instead of four (which is how it usually is), me and an English sister. I'm SUPER nervous to do all the trainings and everything. But there is a reason why I am here.

Other than transfers, this week was super great!! Thursday, Friday, and Saturday we had pioneer story time at the VC to celebrate Pioneer Day and to get more traffic in the morning. It had a great turn out. The first day, there were almost 500 people. Sooooo many of them were children (my desire to have children has been cured, jk :). But seriously it was nuts. There were kids laughing, screaming, crying, running, climbing all over the Christus. So crazy.

La familia Lopez are so amazing. The dad lost his jobs and they were about to lose their apartment. So they decided to sell tamales and asked us to spread the word. So Sister Orr and I went crazy on Facebook. We sent messages to everyone. We got almost 70 dozen tamales ordered. They were so happy!! They woke up at 1:30 a.m.on Friday and started making them, we went over at 11 and started delivering them. We were just going to deliver the ones for the people who only spoke English, but they were so exhausted that we delivered all of them. We delivered tamales on and off from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Long day. We also got local wards to donate school supplies. They were so happy!!!

In the VC, one of my investigators who lives in India went to church! It is a huge deal because the nearest church building is two hours away from where he lives. My other investigator from Africa FINALLY got in contact with his local missionaries. Remember that sketchy guy that came in the VC last Sunday?? We will call him John. Well, he came in the VC twice during the week and both times I wasn't there! He left his number, and I called him. He came in on Saturday and we talked for an hour. He told me about his life. He had been clean from drugs since he came to the VC and he put himself in a 90 day program to help himself get back on track. I taught him the Restoration, sent the local missionaries, and invited him to church. HE WENT!! He is so great!!

Love you all! Have a super great week!!
Con amor,

Hermana Jeppson

Our Search for Happiness (July 21, 2014)