Monday, July 21, 2014

Our Search for Happiness - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

 Dearest Familia,

I can't believe Alec had his farewell! Sounds like a lot of young men are leaving now. That is so weird!  They still seem like little sophomores in high school to me. I can't believe Maren graduated and that Nadine, Braden and Sabrina are starting senior year! Time really does fly. Enjoy these moments, because they go in a blink of an eye.


Something we have started doing is taking more pictures to capture the memorable moments.

Things are as crazy as ever. The week has flown by, but as I think about what happened on Tuesday, it feels like that was an eternity ago.

Tuesday, we had our typical meetings. But we also had interviews. They were short, but good. When I walked in, the first thing President asked me was if I was ready to go solo as Visitors' Center (VC) trainer... Then he asked me about my concerns. He told me how my mission is a very, very small portion compared to eternity, but that the things I am learning will have eternal effects. He even started to tear up. It was a tender moment. He is like a second father to me. He really loves all of us missionaries so much.

Wednesday, we did service for one of our investigators. They don't own a vacuum, so they sweep their carpet. We went over with our vacuum and vacuumed the entire apartment. Then Sister Orr shampooed the carpet while I washed the base boards. Afterwards they gave use breakfast. We just got to know them and laughed. It was fun. We kind of lost track of time and showed up 30 minutes late to district meeting... It was bad, but worth it.

Thursday, we went on exchanges in the morning with some sisters. The sister I was with is just finishing up her second transfer. She is also Spanish speaking. She reminded me of me when I first got out, except she's more confident. We got to practice a lot of things. After that, we went on exchanges in our area with our Sister Training Leader. She goes home next week, so we were her last exchange on the mission. It was so much fun. She is a very bold missionary.

Friday, we finished our exchange, had prep meeting... Yup, that's all I can remember of what happened.

Saturday... More exchanges, and more meetings..we met with our investigators again. I think I named them familia Lopez. The parents have been in and out. They are super busy with work and things, so we have taught the children. The oldest two are 12 and 13. We reviewed the Restoration and the Plan of Salvation with them. And they got it! One of them said, "I can't wait for you to leave, so I can pray and ask God if it's true".... so cute!! (I didn't take it personally)

Sunday, we were supposed to have 12 investigators at church today (three families) but only one showed up. The others had some family emergencies. But it was a good day at church. We had some less active members come!! Miracle. We were on shift at the VC from 6-9. They are doing some renovations on the temple, so it's closed. This makes some people think the VC is closed as well... So the last week has been pretty slow.

Yesterday, I was at the front with Sister Cameron (director's wife) when this sketchy looking guy came in. I was about to leave, but I decided to stay with Sister Cameron, because she was the only one up there. He had to use the phone to call someone to come get him... As I overheard the conversation, I felt impressed to stay and give him a tour. So I waited for him to get off the phone. I talked to him for a while, and he had made some mistakes in his life and hit rock bottom. He is trying to find his way. I wasted no time, the second I got him seated in the room with the Christus, I asked if he had found God. He said no, but that he was looking for him. I proceeded to say that it wasn't a coincidence that he came to the Visitors' Center.  I played the Christus audio for him and he told me that the part that left the most impact was when Christ said, "For behold, I had suffered these things for all that they might not suffer if they would repent." After, I felt impressed to play the Prodigal Son. So as we were watching it, I went and got a Book of Mormon and the pamphlets and started highlighting and marking all the things he should study right away.

When he came out, I testified of the power of the atonement and began to teach kind of the restoration, plan of salvation, and gospel of Jesus Christ in 10 minutes. Just bits and pieces. I also told him that he is worth so much and that God loves him. He told me thank you and that there was a reason he came. He also said that he would be back in 5 days to the VC to learn more. It was amazing, God allowed me to feel the love that he had for this troubled young man. I know that God knows each and everyone of his children individual. I know that he LOVES his children so so so much.. I have felt it. Every time I see someone, before I muster up the courage to talk to them, I pray to feel the love that God has for them, and then I try to imagine them in white, in the temple.

There is definitely nothing like missionary work. I love it so much!!

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the True church. I was reading out of "Our Search for Happiness" by Elder M. Russell Ballard, and there is a quote that I would like to share:

"You can never do more for The Lord than He can do for you."

Being a missionary I hear a lot, "Oh, you are sacrificing so much, thank you for your service." I am sacrificing nothing compared to what I am getting. God blesses me so much and I have gained more than what I have given.

The reality is, I am on the downhill part of my time as a full time missionary. I am not wasting a minute. I feel such a desire to talk with everyone about the gospel.

I love you all, and I pray for you... you should all write me and tell me how you are doing... Braden, Taylor, McKinsey, Brycen....I love you bunches. I have pictures of you all so I don't forget what you look like ;)

Love,

Hermana Jeppson

Becoming Like Christ (July 14, 2014)

Pioneer Day and Tamales  (July 28, 2014)