Monday, July 14, 2014

Becoming Like Christ - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors' Center, speaking Spanish.

Dear Familia,

I can't even believe it is Monday again. I feel like I just sat down to do emails yesterday. The weeks are just flying by. In the Visitors' Center (VC), we have a weekly meeting with the director and his wife to discuss the needs of the sisters in the center, the needs of the VC, and plan for the weekly training. One of the concerns we have is Christmas Lights. We looked at the transfer schedules and by the time Christmas Lights start, half the sisters will be home, and all the new missionaries will be training. Every single sister will be training by the time Christmas Lights comes. I am terrified. So we have been planning our trainings to prepare the sisters for Christmas Lights. In the exchanges we do, we have been setting goals to help the new sisters feel confident to 1) train a new missionary and 2) lead Christmas Lights. I know the Lord knows what he is doing. He knows these sisters can do it!

The Visitors' Center is going well. I do spend a lot of time there. We are changing some things, and it's just great. On Friday we had a training about starting and ending movies. We spilt up into groups and practice. It's a little intimidating to get up there in front of the whole VC and give a training. I think, I'm too young in the mission to be up here, then I remember, I am on of the oldest Spanish sisters in the VC. The Sisters are amazing, and they are so great to help me out. I just hope that I have helped them.

I'll give you a little run down of my week:

Monday:

We had a lesson set with one of our investigators. We will call him Santiago. We had a member present and everything. When we got there, he asked if we could go back in an hour. So we left to visit another family. When the hour was up, we went and met Santiago in the Visitors' Center. But our member had to leave, so we didn't have a member. As we were driving over, Sister Orr asked me to pray to find a member. So as she drove I prayed. After I was done, I sat there and thought about any possibilities of members being there in the VC. One name of a member of another ward who is always at the VC came to my mind. When we got to the VC, we saw Santiago sitting right next to the member that I had thought of. It was a complete miracle. It was a great lesson as well.

Tuesday:

I was in the VC all day. 8AM-9PM for various meetings, trainings, and shift (LONGEST DAY EVER).

Wednesday:

I am having a hard time remembering what happened this day. But I know that we stopped by Santiago's house and taught him with a girl who JUST BARELY got off her mission, Spanish speaking, in California. IT WAS SO GOOD! Santiago completed all the commitments we left him. He calls us las Hueras (I believe that's how it is spelled, any of you Spanish speakers please correct me) it means white, blonde girl. He'll say "ok Hueras, si hueras, hola hueras". As we were teaching him, his roommate came out!! (a less active member who hasn't been to church in 2 years). He told us that he wanted to come back to church, so we set a time to have a lesson at the VC with them both!!

Thursday:

This day, we had ZTM (Zone Training Meeting) and a lesson with our miracle family! We taught the Plan of Salvation.

Friday:

Today was prep meeting! We got up super early and went to the VC at 7 for prep meeting. I ended up taking a tour that took the whole morning. It was a family reunion. All the older kids were in the temple doing baptisms while the parents took the younger kids to the VC. There were about 10-15 kids between the ages of 1 and11. They were so loud. But so cute. We watched a movie, did a scavenger hunt, sang "I Love to See the Temple," and then we watched "God's Plan For His Family." At the end, I asked the grandparent's to share their testimonies. The Spirit was so strong, I wanted to cry. They reminded me of our family when we were younger.

Saturday:

JORGE GOT BAPTIZED!! It was so cool! I started teaching him a little over a year ago, and I taught him for the first 7 months of my mission. He kind of disappeared, then he started working for the ward mission leader in a neighboring ward. This guy took Jorge under his wing. I saw Jorge for the first time in 6 months last week. And he has changed so much! He is so much more confident and talkative!!! He asked me and Sister Leon to speak at his baptism. It was kind of last minute, so I didn't have time to really prepare, plus President showed up so I was ten times more nervous. Pretty sure my whole face went red, but hey.... he got baptized, and that is all that matters.

Stacey Young came in and visited me today! (I think it was Saturday). I didn't recognize her until she showed me a picture of Braden and Noel at homecoming. So good to see her!

Sunday:

Today we had branch conference. NOBODY was there. I think they were all at home watching the World Cup. Anyway, we had sacrament last and I was SOOO tired. While our Branch President was speaking, it was so hard for me to stay awake. I kept nodding off. Then I actually nodded off for about 30 seconds. When I opened my eyes, I looked up and made eye contact with the stake president. He just smiled at me, I felt a little embarrassed, then I turned to my left and saw our Ward Mission Leader, and he was just chuckling to himself. At the end of sacrament, the stake president came and shook our hands. When he came to me, he pulled me off to the side, and asked if everything was alright. I said yes, just a little tired. He laughed and said, "Ok good, you have a good smile, keep on smiling" (something like that). I guess when I was struggling to stay awake, I had the look of death plastered on my face.

We had the VC this night as well. And for some reason, all four companionships that were there were all Spanish missionaries. It was good, because the majority of the visitors that came in were all Hispanic. I spoke Spanish the majority of the night. It was fun.

Anyway, life is going great. Missions are crazy... but I love it.

Something that was really cool... there is a sister missionary about to go home, and she was talking with us one day. She said she was reading her call letter and received some pretty cool insight. She said that she hasn't been as happy as she has been on her mission. As she contemplated it, she realized it was because we are keeping our covenants. As missionaries, we strive every hour and minute to be like Christ, thinking of others and serving. I thought... wow, that is true. I feel so happy. My biggest fear about coming home is losing that. I am not focusing on coming home, but it's the reality. I have to make goals now in order to not go back to how I was. I have changed so much. And the test will be continuing to apply what I have learned and will learn on my mission. How can you be more Christlike in your daily life?

Love,

Sister Jeppson

Exhausted but SOOO Happy! (July 7, 2014)

Our Search for Happiness  (July 21, 2014)