Monday, May 12, 2014

Feliz Dia de Las Madres - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

I hope you all had an amazing Mother's Day! We sure did! So in Mexico, Mother's Day is celebrated on the 10th of May, and then of course since we celebrate Mother's Day on Sunday, more reason to have a fiesta! So Saturday we had a ward party. And guess who was in charge, the men... It was so fun to see them all scrambling around organizing everything while the women were sitting in the cultural hall, listening to classical music and talking. In the kitchen, it was a mad house. All the men were rushing, trying to get everything set up. I looked at the bishop, and he just sat there nodding his head and rolling his eyes. It was fun. Our investigator, P**, was the DJ. We didn't get to stay too long because we had to work at the Visitors' Center (VC). The bishop also put us in charge of getting together a little gift for the mothers. He bought the stuff and gave it to us to make. It was just chocolate wrapped up in foil and tied up with red ribbon.

On Sunday, all of us VC Sisters met up and walked to each of the three homes of the senior missionary couples. When they opened the door we sang "Love at Home" and replaced the word love with mom and gave them flowers and a card. It was sweet. Each of them cried and said that they loved their missionary daughters. It was special.

At church, we had some great talks, and a great time passing out the candies to all the women. It was my favorite part because I got to hug each and every mother and wish them a happy Mother's Day. It was very meaningful because almost every single one of them has fed us dinner since I have been here.

Latinos like to be together. For dinner, we went to a couple's home and they had invited everyone. We even saw some of my investigators in my old area there. Food was great. We left by singing "Love at Home." Everyone had their phones out recording it. They're my family! They might just see us as missionaries who come and go, and that's ok. I love them all!

After that I got to Skype my family!!! So much fun to see all of you. I felt more comfortable this time also. Last time, for Christmas, I guess I just didn't know how to act. It was fun because it felt like the nights we usually had before I left. All together, telling stories, and laughing. One thing is for sure... I still have an attitude. Just ask all my companions and the people I serve with. There is even a few investigators that got a taste of it... Well just one.. That's okay because he still invites us to come over, and he's getting baptized.

In our area we have been focusing a lot on our members, and we have quite a few who are less active. We feel like that's what the Lord wants us to do because as soon as we started doing that, He blessed us with five new investigators. He has even blessed us with more people to teach in the Visitors' Center. We have investigators from ALL over. I even just had a recent baptism for someone who contacted us through Mormon.org. So many miracles.

Being a missionary is my favorite thing to do. It is the most humbling thing ever....The hardest thing ever.... But it brings the greatest rewards. I feel like we are at war with Satan all the time. That is why it is important to put on the Armor of God everyday.

I love you all!

Hermana Lindsey Jeppson

Following the Spirit (May 5, 2014)

Someone Greater Asked the Same Question (May 19, 2014)