Monday, March 3, 2014

The Book of Mormon Changes Behavior - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

My Dearest Family in the wilderness,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRYCEN AND MAREN!! I sent them both cards... let me know if they got them.

Thank you for sending the pictures from Brycen's party. It's nice to see everyone. Emmery looks so big! How old is she now? Braden looks SKINNY. How tall is he now? Dave, Dall and Joe look like trouble and Katie looks blonde! Tell her I would love to room with her! I hope the memories you shared were good ones..

Just to answer a few of your questions mom:

Yes, I got to see Kaitlyn! It kind of caught me off guard. I was eating dinner, and the Senior missionaries came back to get me and told me I was needed in the front. I had a tour scheduled, so I thought it was them. When I walked out and saw it was her, it took everything in my power not to scream (I know I am a girl). I didn't cry... I thought I would, but I didn't. We talked about her mission and my mission, and how it was the same and how it was different. I feel a special connection to returned missionaries. You know when Dad says, "The mission is the best kept secret of the church", I finally know what he means. It's not anything you can just talk about. You have to experience it in order to know... It was good.
Gilbert Arizona Temple

I did get to go to the Gilbert Temple dedication. It was broadcast to our stake center. There were three sessions, and I got to go to two. President Monson and President Erying were there, along with Elder Tad Callister, Richards and Wright of the Seventy. It was so cool. One of the speakers was saying that this was a once in a life time opportunity... it was my third (would have been fourth if I saw the Brigham City dedication) in 5 years... That's how you know someone is from Utah.

The priests in your ward are getting mission calls!! That is so cool!! What part of Honduras is Alec going to? My trainer is from Honduras! That would be cool if he served in her home town. Tell Zachary Spanish work is where it's at... I most definitely would have gone to the Mexico MTC if I left later. The missionaries that came two transfers after me went to the Mexico MTC.

My friend's name is S*. But I don't think she goes there anymore. I think they moved and she went to college or something. That is so cool you get to do Special Needs Mutual!!! I am so jealous. Dances were always fun, or something with rotations. One ward did a photo booth. That was cool... just be creative..

I just love the Visitors' Center. So many cool things happen each day. I am just so blessed to have all these opportunities. I talk to people over the phone, through Facebook, on the street, in the ghetto, in the Visitors' Center... Everywhere... So much fun...

Earlier this week, I got a letter from the Mission Office. President picked me to be a mentor for a new missionary. What that means is the missionary I was assigned to, received a packet with directions about Facebook and online prosleyting enclosed. She was given my Facebook information. When she adds me, I'll mentor her and help her be more prepared to become a "Arizona Mesa Missionary." It's a pretty cool privledge that I have. She hasn't added me yet, but when she does (if she does) I'll let you know how it goes.

One cool thing... So this lady came into the Visitors' Center a few days ago with her missionaries. I honestly cannot remember her name. We'll call her Mary. Mary is about 60 years old. She got baptized a month ago, and was introduced to the church in October by some neighbors. When she was 10 years old, she and her family went to the Visitors' Center in Salt Lake City. She still remembers seeing the Christus and how it literally took her breath away. She had friends that were members, but they never introduced her to the church. In October, she moved here from some other state (I don't remember) and was working in her yard. Her neighbor (member) came by to welcome her and INVITED her to a Christmas activity, she went. Then they INVITED her to church... she went, and has gone every Sunday since then. She called her friends up and said, "Why didn't you ever tell me about your church?'...What's the lesson learned here? INVITE EVERYONE! Church, FHE, BBQ, ward activities, dinner, the movies, etc..

We are teaching this couple. I don't think I ever have talked about them, but they are seriously some of my favorite people in the entire world. We'll call them Patricia y Pepe Romero. But Pepe has a very strong character. When we first started teaching him, he doubted everything we said. The last time we went over he admitted that he only started reading the Book of Mormon because he wanted to prove us wrong... but guess what.... HE KNOWS IT IS TRUE!! I have seen his heart change. It's only been a month that we've been teaching them. I was blown away. There is a quote in Preach my Gospel that says, "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior." I know it's true. I have experienced it.

I know the Book of Mormon changes people. I have seen it.

This is the true and only church of Jesus Christ. I am convinced of it every single day.

I love you dearest familia!!

Les quiero!!

Hermana Jeppson

The Secret to Missionary Work (February 24, 2014)

Sanctified (March 10, 2014)