Monday, March 31, 2014

Covenant Keepers - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors' Center, speaking Spanish.

Hola mi familia! Wow what a busy week!

First off, I wanted to say that I love you all! Thank you for sharing those experiences, Mom. I wanted to cry becuase of the joy I feel from reading your email. I love each and every one of you so much.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (tomorrow) MCKINSEY!!  I can not believe that you are turning 13! You are growing up way too fast! I'm sending a card, but you probably won't get it til later this week. Hope you have a great day!

How was the Women's Conference?? Seeing those 8 year old girls with their sisters and mothers made me miss you a little bit. I thought of me, you and McKinsey dressing up all cute going to Conference. I was in the Visitors' Center (VC) that night so we watched it in one of the theaters. It was just me and Sister Cameron (director's wife) for the first little bit because everyone else was eating or covering different posts in the VC. When the choir started singing, she had a tear in her eye. I hugged her and said, "I'll be your daughter if you be my mother" because we were both missing our families. It was good. I really enjoyed it. I love everything that they said. They put so much time, prayer and fasting into these talks. They're really inspired. But they'll only do us good if we apply them. So make goals to be better covenant keepers!

So, last Monday and Tuesday were probably some of the hardest days of my mission. I dropped Sister DeMille off at the mission office. We stayed there for a good 3 hours while we finalized everything, then she along with the other missionaries going home, left to the mission home. As she was walking out, I gave her a hug to say goodbye (I had not cried all day or all week). The second she hugged me, I just sobbed. Then she just sobbed. It was so sad. I then went to my area with a temporary companion. The next day, we went and picked up Sister Valladares from the mission office. Her flight wasn't until 10 p.m. that night. So she stayed with us. We did all the normal missionary routine, then at 8:30 p.m. we took her to the mission home. We got all of her stuff unloaded then she gave me a hug (I was doing really well up until that point). SHE STARTED CRYING, then I started crying. Once she caught her breath she whispered, "you'll be the best trainer".. I just lost it. The thing is, she's from Honduras, so I don't know if or when I'll see her again. I never want to "kill" another missionary. I took part in killing two in one transfer! It seriously is lo pejor! (the worst)

Wednesday was FILLED with meetings. My first one was at 8, then another one at 9, then the last one at 10. After the meetings, Sister Alcocer came with me. To answer your question Mom, no I am not teaching her Spanish. She is Mexican, so she is teaching me Spanish. We have been companions for about 5 days and we're already best friends. I have had really amazing companions. All of them will be my life long friends.

We kind of jumped right into missionary work after that. She got to meet some of our investigators and we contacted a few potential investigators. She has no fear. I am learning a lot from her. I just hope that she can learn something from me. Because she is newer, we get to do 12 week again. That is the training program for new missionaries. It has been helping me out a lot to because I have been reviewing basic principles to missionary work.

We have amazing investigators. I can not remember what names I gave them. But they're the ones that we have been working with for the last 2, almost 3, months. They went to a baptism on Saturday, then on Sunday they invited us over for dinner. We got there early and just talked with them. She basically bore her testimony to us. I wanted to cry. There is nothing like the feeling you get when someone you love accepts the gospel. Setting a baptismal date has been the challenge. They both want to get baptized, there are just some roadblocks that we need to get over first. It has been a little frustrating, but we'll get over it.

I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY! This is the best calling ever. I am enjoying every second of it.... even the rejections.

I love you Mom and Dad, Braden and Taylor and McKinsey and Brycen... and whoever else reads this letter!

Hermana Jeppson

Killing a Companion is Not Easy (March 24, 2014)

Mesa Easter Pageant (April 14, 2014)

Happy ONE YEAR in the Mission, Sister Jeppson! (April 17, 2014)