Monday, February 3, 2014

Gilbert Arizona Temple Open House - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(Note to reader: Clicking on highlighted words will link to more information. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.)

Dear Family,

It was a week of miracles (as always). Everyone is getting some kind of spiritual drive. Our mission president wrote us a letter explaining that we are living beneath our privileges (watch that Mormon Message by President Uchtdorf) and that we need to start claiming the blessings that are ours. Lately, our mission has seen many miracles. Our key indicators have sky rocketed, which means that the number of member present lessons, new investigators found, baptismal dates set, and baptisms have increased. The Lord has not only blessed our companionship, but all the missionaries around us. It is so exciting to see the results of Hastening of the Work of Salvation. I have seen recent converts jump right into it. A 16 year old girl got baptized last Saturday, and now she is coming out with us. We are wasting no time.

We got to go to the Gilbert Temple Open House! It was so amazing. We went with our investigators. I think I called them Familia Garcia. There are about 5 in their family, and they invited their extended family, so we had ten non-members with us!

Sisters Jeppson and Demille
The Gilbert Temple is GIANT. Each room was just breathtaking. The open house has created such an excitement here. We invite EVERYONE we meet to go. When we hand them the invitation, they say "Wait, I can go in there?" YES!! It is so exciting.

There is this apartment complex in our area that is filled with men from Mexico who have come here to work to support their families. We met this 20 year old kid that came here to work three years ago. He has no family here, and he lives with roommates. Another guy came here so his kids could go to college. One man left his four small children and wife to support them. All they do is work and sleep. It is so sad. It has caused me to reflect on my own life, and think how fortunate I have been. So thank you, Mom and Dad, for raising me in the Gospel and providing for me.

When we tell our investigators and street contacts how much happiness the gospel brings, these are the typical responses we get: "I'm already happy." "If God blesses people, why does he let other people suffer. There are many wars, children in Africa who are suffering and starving." Or, a lot of times, when we ask people what they think of our message they say, "Oh, es muy bonita" (it's very beautiful)...

Yes, it's beautiful, but it's so much more than that... it's SALVATION!

During my personal study, I have been thinking about it as I was reading a talk by Richard G. Scott. Then my mind went crazy. I started reading Chapter 1 of Preach My Gospel, "My Purpose." It just goes through and explains the "how" and "why" of missionary work. At the end of the chapter, there's this green box that says, "Remember This." There is a point in there that just turned on a light bulb...
"The restored gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way by which we can find eternal happiness." Eternal Happiness is the key phrase that popped out to me. The gospel doesn't only bring happiness here, but it brings happiness in the eternities. This is the only way to experience full happiness in the next life. Yes, this life is going to be hard. If it isn't, you just wait. But if we have the gospel of Jesus Christ, we'll be able to navigate through life much smoother, and we will be able achieve eternal happiness.
Anyway, thanks for paying attention to my spiritual thought.

I love you so much, mi familia! I pray for you often!! :) Thank you so much for sharing your missionary experience Dad (even though it was through Mom). It is good to know that my family is taking part in hastening of the work of salvation. Thank you so much for all your prayers and support. I am so sorry for not writing a lot of you back. I'm getting there, I promise :)

Love,
Hermana Jeppson

Making Tortillas and Memories (January 27, 2014)

Obedience Brings Blessings (February 10, 2014)