Wednesday, December 11, 2013

God Is Our Perfect Parent - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(**Note to reader: Clicking on the highlighted words will link to additional information. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.)

Hola todos!!

This has been an amazing week! Do you remember that one guy I told about last week? The one that came into the Visitors' Center (VC) with his pregnant wife and decided to fill out the referral card? Well, it turns out that he lives in our area!! So we get to teach him! We have tried setting an appointment, but he's always at work when we actually have time in our area. We're trying! We have gotten three referrals from Christmas lights! It's only been a week. In the VC, this past week, we got 500 referrals!! 300 member referrals and 200 non-members who requested missionaries. We are all working so hard. There isn't a night where we don't come home exhausted. It's crazy!!!

This was a cool experience...So think back to General Conference last October, Elder Nielson's talk, "Ask the Missionaries"... Read the story about Jerry:

"You may have previously encountered, or even ignored, our missionaries. My hope is that you will not fear them but learn from them. They can be a heaven-sent resource to you. That happened to Jerry, a Protestant gentleman in his mid-60s who lives in Mesa, Arizona. Jerry’s father was a Baptist minister; his mother, a Methodist minister. One day Jerry’s close friend Pricilla shared with him the pain she felt from the death of her child during childbirth and a bitter divorce that occurred shortly thereafter. Struggling as a single mother, Pricilla has four children--three daughters and a son. As she opened her heart to Jerry, she confessed that she was thinking of taking her own life. With all the strength and love Jerry could muster, he tried to help her understand that her life had value. He invited her to attend his church, but Pricilla explained that she had given up on God.

Jerry did not know what to do. Later, while watering trees in his yard, this man of faith prayed to God for guidance. As he prayed, he heard a voice in his mind saying, “Stop the boys on the bikes.” Jerry, a little bewildered, wondered what this meant. As he reflected on this impression, he gazed up the street and saw two young men in white shirts and ties riding bicycles toward his home. Stunned by this “coincidence,” he watched them ride by. Then, realizing that the situation required him to act, he shouted out, “Hey, you, please stop! I need to talk to you!”

With a puzzled but excited look, the young men stopped. As they approached, Jerry noticed that they wore name tags identifying them as missionaries in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Jerry looked at them and said, “This may sound a little weird, but I was praying and was told to ‘stop the boys on the bikes.’ I looked up the street, and here you are. Can you help me?”
The missionaries smiled, and one said, “Yes, I am sure we can.”

Jerry explained the worrisome plight of Pricilla. Soon the missionaries were meeting with Pricilla, her children, and Jerry. They discussed the purpose of life and God’s eternal plan for them. Jerry, Pricilla, and her children grew in faith through sincere prayer, their study of the Book of Mormon, and the loving fellowship with members of the Church. Jerry’s already strong faith in Jesus Christ grew even stronger. Pricilla’s doubts and thoughts of suicide turned to hope and happiness. They were baptized and became members of Christ’s restored Church."

Well, yesterday at the VC, there was this guy there with another lady. They were sitting in the Savior of World exhibit (room with the pictures of Christ). As I walked past, he called me over and asked me to look up this talk. So I did on my iPad, he asked me to read the story about Jerry out loud. So I did. As I finished he said, "I'm Jerry." I was like, "You're famous!!" The lady that was with him isn't a member of our church. Jerry found her a few days ago carrying heavy grocery bags home. He helped her out, invited her to church, then to the the VC. I started talking to her and he left us alone. It was just me and her. She expressed to me how peaceful she felt. I said, "Sister, that's the Spirit, and that's something you need to remember." I gave her a Book of Mormon, she gave me her contact information, and we sent the missionaries. I will continue to keep in contact with her, probably for the rest of my life.

This church is true. I can not express how grateful I am for the opportunity I have to be an instrument in the Lord's hands. I did none of this... I was at the right place, at the right time.

God answers prayers and He loves you. He is your Heavenly Father. He is the perfect parent... All we have to do is work on being the perfect child. Thank goodness for the perfect example of Jesus Christ.

Hermana Lindsey Jeppson

Thanksgiving in Mesa (December 3, 2013)

Miracles on Main Street (December 17, 2013)

Mesa Temple Visitors' Center
Sister Missionaries
December 2013

Christmas Lights at Sunset

Our apartment with the Christmas Tree
from Mom
Our mantel