Monday, November 11, 2013

Sent from my iPad - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(**Note to reader: By clicking on the highlighted words, you will be linked to the topics and phrases Sister Jeppson mentions in her letter. You can also enlarge the photos by clicking on them.)

Hola mi familia!! Como están?

This week went by crazy fast! I can barely remember what happened. First, I would like you to realize at the bottom of this email it says, "Sent from my iPad." That's because we get to email on our iPads now! Technology is great!

"Christmas Lights" starts very soon. We are finishing up our training and getting ready. Almost all the lights are up! It looks so beautiful. I am so excited, it's not even funny. We will be there every night! It starts the day after Thanksgiving and goes until New Year's. We will be able to bear testimony about our Savior multiple times every night. I've heard from many Sisters that their testimonies are strengthened so much during this time of year. I was thinking about it, I don't think it is coincidence that Thanksgiving comes before Christmas. During the month of November, we think about all the things that we are grateful for. And we get to express gratitude. And then we get to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I get chills just thinking about it.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, Thursday we received a call from the second counselor in the bishopric of our tiny branch (congregation). He has been sick and unable to attend church. But this week he came, and he was little bit behind, so he asked Hermana Leon and I to give talks in Sacrament Meeting. It was my first Sacrament talk of my entire mission. For some reason, he thought there were three missionaries in our companionship, so he planned for only the two of us to speak. It went well. I wrote my whole talk in English and then translated into Spanish. When I got there, I just read it. I was so nervous. But at the end I was able to bear my testimony without hesitation in Spanish. It was a miracle. The gift of tongues is a real thing. Our topic was gratitude, so I expressed all the things I was grateful for, including my family and our Savior, Jesus Christ. Many people came up to us afterwards to express their gratitude for our spirit and our talks.

This week we experienced many ups and downs with our investigators. Some were very receptive and others were not. For the first time, I had a door slammed in my face. It was sad, but it happens.

We are teaching this mother and her son. They had investigated the church before and were not very interested. But they're willing to listen to us. The son has made some mistakes in his life and wants to change and be better. So we taught about the Restoration. It went very well.

Afterwards, they expressed how much it made sense.  The mom, Maria (name changed for privacy), told us that it now makes sense. She was very confused about what prophets were. She thought that we worship Joseph Smith! This is why it is important to teach about dispensations and apostasy. Hopefully we will be setting a baptism date very soon.

We had zone training meeting this week. We have a tradition that whoever is going home this transfer shares their testimony at the end of the meeting. One Sister who is going home said something that impacted me. She said that she is not ready to go home, she loves being a missionary, and  can not imagine not being a missionary. I thought about it. I love being a missionary. I have never had experiences like this before. There is a quote from Preach My Gospel that I want to share with you. It is in chapter 8, "Use Time Wisely." It says, "The attitude you have towards your mission experience is a reflection of your love toward your Heavenly Father and His Son and your respect for the priesthood." Just think about it.

Well, until next time. I love you all! Thank you for all your love and your support!!

Le quiero mucho!

Hermana Jeppson

God is the Same Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow (November 4, 2013)

Transfer News (November 20, 2013)

We have a Zone Training Meeting once a month. There are six companionships
of Elders and four of Sisters. It's the first time in my mission where we've been
outnumbered! Unfortunately, most of our zone left before we could take a photo.