Monday, August 5, 2013

Technology and Fellowshipping in Arizona - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, currently serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Mesa Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hola!

So this week we kind of got some exciting news. Let me back up first. When we first got our iPads and Facebook pages, the question came up, "Can we add family and friends?" Brother Allen pondered for a bit and essentially said, "Why not? As long as it's for missionary purposes, then go for it." I decided to stay completely away from this. In the white handbook it says keep contact with family and friends only on preparation day. However, we had a training on Friday about iPads, and we have been encouraged to use our families and friends for fellowshipping.

Let me explain a little more. So here at the VC (Visitors' Center), we call people all around the world. We work with them, and help them find their local missionaries. However, the best thing for people investigating the church is having a friend. And being on the phones and not in a ward, it's hard to find members to help. With the ability to use Facebook and phones and such, finding members to help is more accessible.

So what I am saying, if we have an investigator and need a member, the Lord will tell us who the best member for that person will be. If that member happens to be you, I'll add you on Facebook and get your contact info so we can have you present in lessons. This took me a long time to accept. But now I feel that it's been inspired.

Just remember, this is completely missionary related. I won't add friends and family on Facebook unless there is a purpose to the work here. And if we call you, our conversation will be focused on missionary work and helping people come unto Christ.

So if I add you on Facebook, no worries I have permission to do so. We just have to remember to remain obedient and missionary minded.

VISITOR CENTER

This week, we got a call at the front desk from someone who was moving to Arizona and wanted to meet with missionaries. We'll call him Aaron (name change for privacy reasons). This is odd, because if someone wants missionaries, they usually call through mormon.org not directly here to the VC. Anyway, we honestly thought it was a prank (that happens a lot actually). But when we talked to Aaron, we soon found out that he sincerely had a desire to learn more! He is the definition of Golden! He is so ready for this! When we were teaching the restoration, he was in tears!! It was crazy. We extended the invitation to be baptized, and guess what.. he said yes!! The goal is September 7!! We aren't able to send the local missionaries yet because he's in the process of moving and doesn't really have a home yet. He's moving from Washington to Mesa, and decided to make stops along the way to visit family. He should be here in about 2 weeks.

Another miracle with him... He's been reading the Book of Mormon online because he hasn't been able to find a copy of his own. But guess what.. HE FOUND ONE in a hotel he was staying at!! Super cool!! We're hoping that he moves into our mission boundaries so we can go to his baptism!!

We are seeing so many miracles here in the Visitor Center!!!

I think I radiate "Utah Mormon". Because a lot of the time when people ask me where I'm from, they say "I knew it! You look like you're from Utah!" Umm... ok... I'll embrace it! Long live the Utah Mormons! Oh, my favorite comment so far is, "Ah, you're from the missionary producing state."

AREA

So our Mission President made a goal for the whole mission. The goal is for each companionship to find three new investigators weekly. We had a fast and everything. So we're going to work hard to achieve this goal!

I can't remember if I talked about this investigator already. So we'll call her Maria. Maria is a former member of the church. She's been seeing missionaries on and off for about eight years. Her daughter actually got baptized when she was 12 years old, and decided to serve a mission (she came home early because of health problems, but hopefully she'll return soon). I can't really understand what Maria says most of the time, but I know that she's really struggling. I know that the gospel can really help her, and I know that she knows it's true. She's just scared because she doesn't have the support from her family. We're hoping that with her daughter being home, she'll be able to find courage and strength! We're not giving up on her!

Not being able to understand everything that goes on can be a blessing or a curse. We were in a lesson and we asked the head of the household to say the closing prayer. He said yes, so I asked if we could kneel. We did. After we left, my companion asked if I understood what they were saying. I said no. Turns out, their house was infested with chinches (mexican way of saying bed bugs). And so being there was hazard enough, but me asking to kneel increased our chances of taking home bed bugs. The brain is a powerful thing. We scratched and scratched all night. We also cleaned everything in our apartment. So far, no bed bugs, but we'll see.

Thank you for your prayers and for your love and support! At times I feel like I'm being lifted and carried by the power of prayer!

The Church is true!

Le quiero mucho!!

Hermana Jeppson

God Wants You to be Happy! (July 29, 2013)

Putting on the Armor of God (August 12, 2013)