Monday, August 26, 2013

A New Companion for Sister Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson, currently serving in the Arizona Mesa Mission / Arizona Temple Visitors' Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

HOLA Familia!!

It has been a crazy week! We got transfer news!! I'm staying in my area and at the Visitors' Center (VC), but I got a new companion. Her name is Hermana Leon. She's from UTAH!! We actually were in the Missionary Training Center (MTC) together. So we're both relatively new, but I'm so excited!! We'll be so great together!!

Dad, as far as transfers go, every Sister here at the VC will have a "Full Field" experience. That's where we get transferred out of the VC into an area anywhere from 1-4 transfers. It's usually 2 transfers, but with how things have gone lately, you never know. For example, my companion is a VC trainer, and usually when you're called to be a trainer, you're there until about the last transfer of your mission. Well she got transferred to be full field, training a new sister. It was super sad, but she told me that she knows that that's where the Lord needs her to be right now.

So, we were in the VC waiting for our investigator to come (he never showed up by the way), and we saw this man come in and sit on the couch. He looked so frustrated, so we went and talked to him. We found out that he brought his non-member friend (we'll call this one Luis) because he wants to learn more. But Luis has this son who is autistic (we'll call his son Pedro). And Pedro was not thrilled at all to come in. So after talking with the member, we sent some Elders to invite Pedro to come in. He accepted.

During the tour, we found out that Pedro loves horror movies. And oh my goodness, he is so deeply affected by them. He said some pretty disturbing things that I'm not going to repeat. Anyway, at the end of the tour, we invited Luis to meet with the local missionaries, be baptized and learn more. He accepted! So I gave him a Book of Mormon. And in the process of handing him the book, Pedro came out of no where, took the book out of my hands while screaming "NO! NO! NO!" It was so scary. On the bright side, we got a new investigator! Luis is so sweet, and he is so hurt by his son. He just wants to help him be happy! Well good news my friend, we know exactly where you can get help:) It's called the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

I love being a missionary!! In companionship study, we were talking about how important it is to stand FIRM! I was reading in Alma, and I read a verse that was talking about how Satan is there ready to pull us away when we aren't standing firm. If we aren't holding tightly to the iron rod, Satan knows exactly how to lead us astray. He's a sneaky thing!

We also were reading about how important it is to share the gospel. I've always been scared about sharing the gospel, because I don't want to offend people or start a heated conversation. Being a missionary, you really don't have an option to be scared :) So this week in personal study, I've been reading a lot of stories in the Book of Mormon about different missionaries and their courage. Alma and Amulek are prime examples:)

This is the Work of Salvation! What happens here determines where we go for eternity. Eternity is a very LONG time. So yes, this work is probably the most important work we can be a part of! Coming to understand that really has helped me to face that fear!

I'm so proud of you guys! It seems like you're all taking a lead on missionary work in the ward! The missionaries are there as a resource to you to help you gather God's children in your ward. Keep using the missionaries! They are there to help you! I love that you gave them the number of our neighbor! He is such a sweet guy!!

I'm doing great!! I hope all is going well at home! Good luck with school and work! TAYLOR!! Enjoy seminary!! You'll love it!

Te quiro mucho!!

Hermana Jeppson

Great Things Happening in Mesa (August 19, 2013)

Missionary Work is Exciting Work! (September 3, 2013)

This is Sister Orr. She came on her mission a
week after her family's farm was destroyed by
a tornado in Oklahoma

This is Sister Avanesjan, from Germany.

Our little District - Hermanas Herber, Shoumacher, Me, Valladares, 
Elders Allred, Neeley (zone leader), and Derbidge (district leader)