Monday, June 24, 2013

The Work is Hastening - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson

I just want to say AMEN to the whole Sunday broadcast. The whole time I wanted to stand up and sing hallelujah!! It was so great! We had a training with Brother Stephen Allen (missionary director, like the real deal) and he told us that "the Lord gave us the internet so we can preach the gospel". The internet is a powerful tool. It can be used for good and for evil. So just remember to consider time and your purpose.

Something that popped into my head was the question, "Why is the Lord hastening his work?" Think about it. He's making efforts to gather ALL of God's children in preparation for the second coming of the Savior. The second coming is coming quickly. And after seeing the broadcast and experiencing these last few months, it's more real to me. It's so exciting! What a great time to be here on earth!!

I think it's so great that you at home are catching this wave of missionary work! Remember "preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary, use words."

This week went by so fast. I can't even believe it. Because I'm in the Visitor Center, we have two areas that we need to plan for, study for, pray for, and work for. I LOVE IT! It's just a little difficult to manage time. We're always doing something. During lunch, I'm reading handbooks, General Conference talks, and updating our area book. During dinner, we're usually with members, which means we're talking and teaching. Keeping busy with meaningful tasks that fulfill our purpose as missionaries is what I strive for!

Can you memorize something for me? "Our purpose is to invite other's to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored Gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end." We recite that everyday (and it was actually kind of hard to type that in English not in Spanish :) )

Notice how it says 'others' and not 'non members'.. just food for thought :)

Anyway, Tuesday we had a baptism!!! Yeah!! It was so amazing! This young man was so ready for the gospel. And now what's even better, he gets the opportunity to help his family receive the gospel. I, of course, played the piano, and we had great talks and testimonies! The Church is true!

This week we decided to go out on bikes. Oh my word, Arizona is so hot! Pero esta bien. We were out on Friday and we saw two hispanic men so we went and talked to them. They asked us if we were missionaries, we said yes, then we invited them to come to the Visitor Center to see our new exhibit (Love thy neighbor-So amazing!! I'll talk about that later). Anyway, we wrote down their address and went off to our appointment.

Saturday, we were on exchanges and it was amazing! We saw many miracles. We were with our STL (Sister Garcia) in her area. Towards the end of the night, we decided to go visit a less active member. We knocked on the door and they let us in. When we went in, the member's boyfriend was there and he looked so familiar. I soon realized who he was and I just pointed and smiled. He smiled once he realized who I was. IT WAS THE GUY WE MET ON FRIDAY!! And he's in our area! We taught about prayer and the importance of it (well my companion did, I just testified, cuz that's all I can do in Spanish right now :) ) IT's so cool!!

Something that I have learned while I've been out is trusting in the Lord. I can't even begin to describe how that's changed me. He feels so real to me now. And I've been blessed so much. This work is not easy. I've felt discouraged. And instead of crying over it, I decided to pray and plead for help. I need Heavenly Father everyday. And once I started relying completely on him, I literally felt the burden lift. The power of the atonement is so real and so tangible if we let it be.

I was reading this Conference talk from April 2013 entitled, "The Savior Wants to Forgive Us". The Atonement is there, and we can have the blessings ONLY if we do our part. It's not just going to be given to us, we have to want it and work for it. I encourage you to kneel in prayer and ask Heavenly Father what you need to do in order to trust in Him more. If you listen and have a broken heart and contrite spirit, He will tell you. I KNOW He will.

Tip for studying Preach My Gospel (PMG). What does it mean to know PMG inside and out? I have no idea, but my advice for all is read the lessons, practice explaining them simply in your own words (teaching primary is a fantastic idea), then add scriptures.

The work is hastening! The Savior is Coming! Missionary work is amazing!

Thank you for all your love, support, and prayers! I feel them, and they make all the difference! I'm excited to hear about all your missionary experiences!!

Te Quiero,

Hermana Jeppson

Getting into the Swing of Things (June 17, 2013)

HEAT (July 1, 2013)


Sister Jeppson and Sister Valadares at the Mesa Temple Visitor Center

Sisters Jeppson and Valadares and Elders Allred and Owens
celebrating the baptism of one of the men they were teaching.