Friday, May 31, 2013

Visitors' Center Training - Sister Lindsey Jeppson

Written by Sister Lindsey Jeppson

HOLA!!

So, in my head I thought I was leaving on a Wednesday...however, I was looking at a calendar and June 4 is a Tuesday!! Best day ever!

My district left Wednesday morning. I got up at 3:00 a.m. to take two of my roommates to the traveling office, then again at 4:45 a.m. to take my companion and other roommate. I went back to my residence hall and was completely alone. It was the craziest thing ever. I got ready, grabbed my stuff, and moved into another room with my new companion. Her name is Sister Creek. She is going to the Idaho Falls Temple Visitor Center, speaking English. She is 24 years old and about 5 inches shorter than me. She graduated from BYU with a Bachelors Degree in Business and a minor in Spanish.

We have two roommates, and they are both going to the Mesa Temple Visitor Center, speaking English. We went to Temple Square on Wednesday morning for an orientation. We got back to the MTC (Missionary Training Center) at 12:00. There are 20 Sisters in my Visitor Center class. Seven of us are going to Mesa, three are speaking English, and the rest of us are speaking Spanish. I'm the only white Sister speaking Spanish.

We have three different classes. The first one is just classroom instruction where we are taught how to apply what we have learned these past weeks into Visitor Center scenarios. The second one is called Resource Center. We have laptops and we answer chats from mormon.org. So yes, I have talked to real people! It is the coolest experience. But, I have had some pretty weird questions.

The third class is TRC (Training Resource Center). Volunteers come in and we pretend like we're in a Visitor Center by greeting them and answering their questions. I've been doing all of this in English and feel like I'm sinning because it's not in Spanish :).

It's great!! I get to go to Temple Square one last time, and we get paired with a Sister Missionary there to teach or conduct tours. It's really cool. Since I've been in the MTC, we've been working on proselyting skills. I've haven't even thought of the Visitor Center until now. I get to do so much!! I'm so stoked!!

With my district gone, the MTC just isn't the same. The first day was rough. I felt the same way I did when I first got here. But change is good. And because of it, I'm more ready to enter the field. I really don't think there is much more I can learn here (besides Spanish grammar stuff). I'm just ready to get out and get to work!!

This week, in my many hours of study, my testimony increased of the Book of Mormon, the Bible, and God's love for his children. Every time we practiced teaching, I always got questions about why the Book of Mormon was so important, and if we believe it is more important than the Bible. Preach my Gospel is amazing. In Chapter 5, it talks all about the Book of Mormon. Read it!! I never really understood where the Book of Mormon came from and why it was so important. Not only does It contain the fullness of the Gospel, but it shows Heavenly Father's love for ALL of his children. Read it so you can understand what that means.

How are your missionary experiences going?? It's cool that the youth got to have that missionary experience teaching about Joseph Smith. That really is the best practice for being a missionary. Share the Gospel with everyone! You don't have to only teach the principles of the Gospel, but you have to live it! Be an example! Love your neighbor as your self. Obey your mother and father. Attend church. Repent. Be kind, humble, patient, and diligent. There is something we can all do to be a better follower of Christ. Kneel in prayer, ask Heavenly Father what you can do to be better, and He will tell you. I do it every day and my life has been so blessed.

Thank you for all your prayers!! Keep up the good work Member Missionaries!!!!

Te quiero,

Hermana Jeppson

Travel Plans  (May 24, 2013)

Last Day at the MTC (June 5, 2013)

Sister Jeppson and her Temple Square companion, Sister Garcia